Aqualand Corfu is located in the town of Agios Ioannis, in the centre of the tourist island of Corfu, and currently has 36 different slides, 15 adventure pools, plus a bubbling Jacuzzi and other exciting games and attractions. As its director Nikos Vangalatis tells us, the park also has “different catering services, such as fast food, grill, ‘fritland’, ice cream parlour and a bar, as well as lockers, a souvenir shop, another store for photography and one for massages and spa”. If to this we add the intermediate areas, landscaped with grass and mature maples, sunbeds and umbrellas, changing rooms and showers, then we get a good idea of the park’s layout.
Aqualand Corfu currently has an area of 7.5 hectares, of which 1.2 are assigned for parking. “It had that area from the beginning, but the park has been extended over the years within that same area.” On the other hand, “the maximum capacity is 4,000 people“, who can enjoy its attractions “from mid-May to early October, and the high season runs from July 15 until the end of August”. As for clientele distribution, Vangalatis says that “20% of visitors are local and the remaining 80% are tourists.” The most valued attraction among them, according to its director, is “The Catapult.”
Asked about the media with which Aqualand Corfu attracts its customers, Vangalatis states that “it is through advertising, at airports, television and radio”, and adds that “we also publicize our park through maps, leaflets and through travel agencies throughout Corfu.” The director points out that “5% of the operating budget” goes to marketing and advertising.
As for the rest, when asked about the elements that differentiate Aqualand Corfu from its competition, Mr. Vangalatis quickly settled the matter, as “there is no competition, there is no other water park” in Corfu.
“The park undergoes year-round maintenance and before opening, we have to check that it’s in the best possible conditions and that it’s safe for customers to visit”. Aqualand Corfu’s director expresses in this way the importance of fundamental protocols to which all parks pay special attention, such as safety. “Our park has 33 lifeguards in each and every one of the pools and slides, and there are signs everywhere with information and instructions on the correct use of the slides,” he adds in this regard. However, furthermore, and with a view to constantly improving their work, “every year our lifeguards attend educational courses.” On the other hand, “20% of the budget goes to maintenance”, and the parts of the park that receive the greatest attention are “the engine room, slides and swimming pools”.
As for the team that starts up the Corfu water park each day, Vangalatis points out that “20% of the staff is permanent”, whilst, “80% is seasonal”.
As for the future, director Vangalatis points out that “in the next five years we want to expand the park, install new games, new attractions, and create a totally original and different environment, that is modern, safe, with high standards and above all, which is entertaining and attractive to customers”.